Memorial Service for Dad
Our StoryDad didn’t want a funeral. He made it quite clear to all the family that he wanted a direct cremation with no service. He wanted his ashes scattered out on the farm up on the hill overlooking the house. Instead of a service we decided to have a gathering and an ashes scattering tribute. This is our story. Memorial Service For Dad
7 ways to remember the man we loved
- Dad loved nothing better than a family picnic and a cold beer with mates. We decided to invite family and friends over to “Remembering Dad Picnic” on the farm.
- We created an informal gathering with his favorite country an western music playing.
- Instead of the traditional eulogy, those who wanted, offered a toast and a bit of a speech the the man we loved.
- We set up areas around the gathering with photos, his tractors and a table with the assortment of hats he wore including his favorite tattered ones he refused to throw out.
- We placed Dad’s ashes where he wanted them scattered. We then planted a tree in his memory.
- Everyone was given a card to write their own memories of Dad. These will be placed in an album for his grandchildren and for future generations.
- My sister gathered Dad’s shirts and made each family member a “shirt cushion” as a remembrance keepsake of our father.